15 September 2009

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I noticed that I didn’t mention whom I went on this exciting adventure with. So I ventured to Amsterdam with three other people from my early start class. I went with two girls that I go to USD with, Caitlin and Victoria, and a guy from New York state, John O’Keffe. Unfortunately my roommates, Matt and Ryan, couldn’t make it because they had their class field trip for there early start class. After dinner the four of us decided it was time to check out the night scene in Amsterdam. So as any tourist would do at night time in Amsterdam we decided to check out the Red Light District, or De Wallen as the Dutch call it. The Red Light District is an area in Amsterdam where prostitution is legal. The Netherlands tends to be a very liberal area compared to the US and a lot of things that are illegal in the US are legal in the Netherlands. Although I was very surprised as we toured the area. The district is in a very nice part of the city where the canals are lit with red LED lights and red lamps adorn the buildings on the streets. Surprisingly the district was filled with tourists, young and old, who were checking out the area. So within each building are glass doors outlined with red lights and on the other side of each door is a women dressed in lingerie. Overall I was shocked and surprised that the Dutch don’t frown upon it but rather simply consider it as part of their culture. I also realized that prostitution tends to happen in every city the only difference is that Dutch prostitution is legal. So after our wild adventure through the infamous Red Light District we decided to head back for Bob’s but on the way we stopped at a konditeri, pastry shop, where I had the best piece of Apple Pie to end a great first day in the Netherlands.


A building in the Red Light District where the women strut their stuff in attempts to get a customer.
The Red Light District
The Dutch Konditeri where I had the best Apple Pie
Victoria and Catilin are two of the people that I travelled to the Netherlands with


No comments:

Post a Comment